Thursday, December 27, 2007

Jaag ke kaati saari raina

I really liked this song from the movie Leela. Needless to say it is in spool mode. Unlike most of Jagjit Singh's songs which primarily have a ghazalish feel this is more Hindustani classical based. In fact I hadn't heard of this movie up until I heard this song and to think, the movie was released in 2002. So based on the song, I saw the movie. The movie was really nothing to rave about. Especially seeing the video of the song spoilt it for me, what was Vinod Khanna trying to do in that song. He is supposed to be this charming poet and singer and in this song he is performing in a typical desi get together (you know 'keep in touch with your kaalcher' types) in the US, but comes across as a monkey on marijuana. Anyhow here are the lyrics of the song:

Jaag ke kaati saari raina
Nainon me kal oas giri thi

Prem ki agni bhujti nahin hai
Behti nadiyan rukthi nahin hai

Saagar tak behte do naina
Jaag ke kati saari raina

Ruh ke bandhan khulte nahin hai
Daag hai dil ke dhulte nahin hai

Karvat, Karvat baati raina
Jaag ke kati sari raina
Nainon me kal oas giri thi

No comments: