Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge

Saw this three hour saga after a long long, long long, let's say too long time. Circa 1996, final year engineering, I think it was around the finals when this movie released. It was watched 5 times and that too in the movie theater. It was as kitschy and formulaic as a Yash Chopra film can get. These days, I must say the bollywood UK/Europe location has been replaced by USA and the Yash Chopra equivalent now is Karan Johar. Although Shah Rukh Khan still rules. No, I don't really like Kajol or the Khan man.
But even today, when I see 'Tujhe dekha to yeh jaana sanam', I can clearly remeber those days. The exuberance of youth, the uncertain future for an engineering graduate, shared cigarettes, the drunken stupor of cheap beer, long nights cramming voluminous books, the ladies. Life was so simple, you were never really expected to care for anyone or anything, rebellion was a given. I didn't realize things were so simple then, maybe given a second chance I could live that life much better, knowing now that over time life only gets complicated. Wow, time just flies. Indulge the cliches please.

No comments: